Chemistry is the study of matter; its composition, the changes it undergoes, and the accompanying changes in energy. The Department of Chemistry at the Mount challenges students in their course work to be both analytical and creative. Small class sizes, and in many cases, the opportunity to participate in research prepares undergraduate students for their future endeavors. Apply today ?
Chemistry Major and Chemistry Joint Honours programs are accredited by the Canadian Society for Chemistry.
**COVID-19 LAB UPDATE**
Due to the social distancing measures required by the Nova Scotia government, the Chemistry faculty have carefully considered the options for providing lab work in Fall 2020. The labs will be provided as follows:
- All labs except 210L and 241L will be delivered online exclusively.
- CHEM 210L and 241L will be delivered with a mix of online and on-campus labs.
- CHEM 210L will have a week-long on-campus lab boot camp from January 4th – 8th, 2021 from 9:00AM – 11:45AM
- CHEM 241L will have a week-long on-campus boot camps.
- LA will meet from January 4th – 8th at 1:30PM – 4:15PM
- LB from January 4th – 8th at 5:30PM – 8:15PM
- LD on Oct 13, 14, 20, 21, 27 at 5:00PM – 7:45PM
If you have any questions or concerns about the labs, please email email@example.com.
Chemistry students have the opportunity to choose from a variety of degree program and concentration options. The Chemistry department also offers a minor in physics. View the full program description ?
- Honours Degree – Four-year, 20-unit Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry
- Major – Four-year, 20-unit degree, requiring 8-units of chemistry courses.
- Combined Major – 6-units of chemistry courses
- Concentration – 4-units of chemistry courses
- Minor – 3-units of chemistry courses
Hands-on Research Opportunities
The faculty in the Department of Chemistry are dedicated to the success of each and every student, and bring a wealth of experience across various research areas. As a chemistry student, you will have the opportunity to work directly with faculty in different areas of research such as quantum chemistry and biochemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry, and more. Read more ?
Careers in Chemistry
Mount graduates have gone on to work in a number of fields including industrial (pharmaceutical, oil, medicine, food, manufacturing), government and education sectors. Chemistry also offers academic careers for those who pursue further study, research or teaching.